Saturday, June 6, 2009

Obituaries, weddings, anniversaries, birthdays

Married 50 Years
Mr. and Mrs. William E. Amos of 481 West Chestnut Street, Washington, will celebrate their 59th wedding anniversary with an open house reception for family and friends at the Ramada Inn, 1170 West Chestnut Street, Washington, on Sunday, June 4. Married June 6, 1928 by the late Rev. Walter P. McConkey at the Central Presbyterian Church, Washington, they are the parents of three children: Jeanne Amos Peterson of Dayton, Ohio; Dr. William E. Amos Jr. of Mt. Lebanon; and E. G. “Bud” Greathouse of Huntington, W. Va. There are 10 grandchildren and four great-grandchildren. The reception is from 2 to 5 p.m. The couple requests gifts be omitted.

95 Years Old (Dec 26, 1979)
Ray Knestrick of Washington, local historical writer, celebrated his 95th birthday on Dec 21. He was born Dec. 21, 1884, in Vanceville where he lived until the age of 10 when he and his family moved to Washington. He first began writing in 1917 for the publication which became the Observer-Reporter. He continued to write for the O-R until 1977. In 1976, his book, “Old building on Main Street” was published. Knestrick is an honorary member of the Washington county Historical Society, the Washington County Genealogical Society, the fort Vance Historical society, and the U.S. Olympic Games Association. He is the father of four children; Paul of Washington, Mary Etta Greenwalt of Moon Township, Ray Jr., at home and Robert W. of Bethel Park. He has six grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.
50th Anniversary
Lloyd M. and Mabel Yaegle of Washington observed their 50th wedding anniversary recently with their family. Both former residents of Warren, they were married September 28, 1929, in Jamestown, N.Y., and are the parents of five children; Shirley of Fairless Hills; Edward of Warren; Lloyd L. of Washington; Charles and James, deceased. There are five grandchildren, Karen of Phoenix, Ariz.; Paul of Killen, Texas; Thomas and Deborah of Warren and Raymond of Pittsburgh.

A.K. Baker Mark 50th Anniversary (1979)
Mr. and Mrs. A. K. Baker, 17 Lancaster Ave., were honored at a 50th anniversary party on Sunday, Nov. 25 in Greenville Knights of Columbus Hall. The affair was hosted by the couple’s children and their spouses – Mr. and Mrs. A. C. Baker and Mr. and Mrs. James T. Brown, all of Greenville – and their five grandchildren.
They were married on Nov. 29, 1929 in a Methodist parsonage in Westfield, N. Y. by the Rev. Barr. Witnesses were Mr. and Mrs. J. B. Baker, brother and sister-in-law of Mr. Baker. The couple moved to Greenville in 1935.
Baker retired after 37 years of service with Sharon Transformer Division of Westinghouse, Sharon, where he was a foreman.
Mrs. Baker continues to work part-time for Keller’s
They are both members of Calvary united Methodist Church.

Open House Sunday for William Fisher
In honor of his 80th birthday, an open house will be held at the home of William Fisher on Sunday, July 24, from 1 to 5 p.m. for friends and relatives. Gifts are to be omitted.
Mr. Fisher was born in Brownsville on July 23, 1897, the son of William H. and Anna Buffington Fisher. He moved at an early age to the family farm in the Lowhill section of Centerville Borough.
Since 1926 he has lived at his present residence at the corner of National Pike and Barney’s Run Road.
He was married in 1921 to Mary F. Thistlethwaite who died in 1969.
There are three children, William Fisher Jr. of Washington; Harold T. Fisher of Glendale, Ariz.; and jean, wife of Ralph H. Smith, also of Glendale, Ariz. There are eight grandchildren and six great-grandchildren.
Mr. Fisher was the janitor at the Centerville High School during the 1930s; worked at Clyde No. 1 Mind or Republic Steel Company; and was a partner in the Marianna Lumber Company until his retirement.
He is a past commander of the Centerville American Legion, and an active member of both the Centerville Lions Club and the Westland Cemetery Association.

Society – Wednesday, October 20, 1926
Centerville, Oct 19. – A simple and pretty home wedding Saturday at 12 o’clock noon, united in marriage Miss Grace Dorsey, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charles I. Dorsey, of west Brownsville, and Heston M. Hill, son of Mrs. Ora Hill, of Centerville. The ceremony was performed by Rev. J. Meade Daugherty, pastor of the First Methodist Episcopal Church, of West Newton. The ceremony took place in the living room before an altar of ferns and fall flowers in the presence of the immediate families and a few friends and relatives. The bride, who was attended by her cousin, Miss Ruth Dorsey, was given away by her father. She wore a rose-colored gown of crepe romane and carried a bouquet of roses. Paul Grimes, of West Brownsville, served as best man. Little Charles Dorsey, nephew of the bride, was ring bearer. Preceding the ceremony, George Dorsey, a cousin of the bride, sang, “O Promise Me.” Mrs. Ross Dorsey played the wedding march. Immediately after the ceremony a dinner was served to the guests, about 50 in number. Mrs. Hill is a graduate of Centerville High school, attended Mt. union college and for the last several years has been a successful teacher in Washington County. Mr. Hill is a graduate of Pennsylvania state College, is a member of Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity, and is employed at the Citizens National Bank at Washington. Immediately after the dinner the bride and bridegroom left by automobile on an eastern wedding trip. Upon their return they will reside in Washington. Guests were present from Washington, Beallsville, Centerville, Brownsville, McKeesport, Charleroi, Monongahela and Pittsburgh.

Newell-Dorsey Wedding Was an Event of Tuesday (1926)
Miss Emma Dorsey
, a well known West Brownsville young woman, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. C. S. Dorsey, of that place, and Edward G. Newell, son of F. W. Newell, of Youngstown, O., were married on Tuesday afternoon, August 18, at the home of the bride’s parents. The Rev. G. Meade Daugherty, of West Newton, read the services. The attendants were Miss Grace Dorsey, a cousin, and Heston Hill, both of Centerville. During the ceremony, George Dorsey, brother of the bride, sang “The Sweetest Story Ever Told” with Miss Beth Dorsey, a sister, at the piano. The Dorsey home was beautifully arranged, ferns and garden flowers being used in the decorations. Covers were laid for 50 at the dinner that followed. The color scheme was pink and white and this was effectively carried out at the table. Mrs. Newell is a graduate of Mount Union college and a member of the Delta Delta Delta sorority. Mr. Newell is also a graduate of that college and of the Harvard law school. He is a member of the Sigma Nu fraternity. Immediately after the wedding Mr. and Mrs. Newell left for West Palm Beach, Fla., where they will make their home, and where Mr. Newell is in the active practice of law.

Death Sudden for J. M. Lydic – Well Known in Printing Trade (appeared in paper July 21, 1948)
James McCausland Lydic, 74, well know Washington businessman, died at an early hour this morning of a heart condition in his home, 597 East Maiden Street.
While his death was unexpected, he had suffered his first attack seven years ago, but recovered and had been active in his business since.
He was well know in Washington, and had been prominent in the printing business here for the past 47 years.
The deceased was born in Armstrong County, December 1, 1873, a son of the late Silas Clark Lydic and Emeline McCausland Lydic, one of a family of seven children.
He learned the printing trade early in life at Marion Center, Indiana County, not far from his home. He had reached a high degree of proficiency in this business, and had long been recognized as one of the best in this section.
He came to Washington from Wilkinsburg in 1901, and was associated with local printing establishments until 1921 when he started in business for himself first as Lydic and Griffiths and later as James M. Lydic and company. For the past 22 years his plant has been located at 35 East Pine Avenue.
Mr. Lydic was a charter member of Washington typographical Union, Local 456, and had served for many years as its secretary.
He had been a member of Washington Lodge No. 164, F & A.m., and National Lodge No. 81, I.Q.O.F. He was also a member of the Washington society for Crippled children, the Washington County Housing Authority, and the Central Board of Relief.
At the time of his death he was serving his second term as a member of the Washington School District Board.
On September 9, 1903, he was united in marriage with Miss Jeannette Forrest, a daughter of the late Joseph Forrest, a well known stone contractor years ago. He is survived by his wife and three children: Forrest Clark Lydic, Pittsburgh; Janet, wife of Harold C. Fraser, Washington and Martha, wife of William G. Weir, Glenshaw, and three grandchildren. One brother and two sisters also survive: William I. Lydic, Fairmont, W. Va.: Pearl, wife of Charles McGregor, Indiana, and Leona, wife of Carroll Hisson, Pittsburgh.

Homer W. Hill
, 67, of Scenery Hill, R.D.1, died Sunday, Aug 29, 1948, at 7:30 p.m. at his home following a lingering illness. He was a farmer.
Mr. Hill was born Dec 27, 1880, in North Bethlehem Township. He was a member of the Beallsville Methodist Church and of the Beallsville IOOF, 832.
He is survived by his wife, Ethel Ruble Hill; two daughters, Mrs. Eleanor Renton, Wilkinsburg; and Helen Harkins, Scenery Hill; two sisters, Mrs. Josephine Eisiminger, Scenery Hill, and Mrs. Edna H. Grover, of Washington; three granddaughters, Barbara, Sandra and Kathryn Renton, of Wilkinsburg.

No comments: