Sunday, April 12, 2009

More obits

Hazel Jackson
, 84, formerly of Burgettstown and the George Washington Hotel, died Sunday, January 25, 1981 in the Washington Hospital Extended Care Facility.
She was born March 2, 1897, in Florence, a daughter of James and Nancy Stephenson Jackson.
Mrs. Jackson was a member of the Florence United Presbyterian Church and a 50 year member of the Burgettstown Chapter, Order of the Eastern Star.
Surviving are a son, Dr. Jay Jackson of Minneapolis, Minn.; two daughters, Dorothy Briscoe of Weirton, W. Va., and Lucille Byrne of Houston; a sister, Bertha Gardner of Weirton, W. Va.; 13 grandchildren and 17 great-grandchildren.
Her husband, Oscar W. Jackson, died in 1959. A daughter, Louise Astornia, died in 1980, and a son, Curtiss Jackson, died in 1923.

Mary Helen Engle
, 81, of Thomas Campbell Apartments, Washington, died Tuesday, December 29, 1981, in Washington Hospital.
She was born September 7, 1900, in Canton Township, a daughter of Samuel Albert and Lovenia Weirich Davis.
Mrs. Engle was a member of the First Christian Church of Washington where she was past-president of the Christian Women’s Fellowship, former teacher of the Lucy Mounts Sunday school class and a member of the Golden Club.
She was past-president and member emeritus of the Martha Washington Garden Club and a member of Washington Chapter No. 409 of the Order of the Eastern Star, Washington Hospital Auxiliary and Washington Chapter of the AARP.
She attended the McClay School in Canton Township.
On November 23, 1920, she married Robert Glenn Engle, who survives. They recently celebrated their 61st wedding anniversary.
Also surviving are one son, Frederick L. Engle of Washington; four daughters, Mrs. George (Mary Louise) Henderson of Weirton, W. Va., Mrs. Samuel (Betty Jean) Andrew of Weirton w. Va., Mrs. Ronald (Marjorie) Polen of Washington and Mrs. James (Lois) Shaw of Washington; two brother, Ralph Davis and Robert Davis, both of Washington; three sister, Florence Fair and Nell Fleissner, Both of Washington, and Martha Mazzotta of Pittsburgh; 18 grandchildren; and 17 great-grandchildren.
Three sons, Robert Glenn Engle Jr., Donald Edward Engle, and Joseph Harold Engle; one daughter, Helen Marie McCullough; three brothers, William, Samuel and Darsie Davis; and one granddaughter, Sandra Lee Shaw are deceased.

Helen Pattison Cummins
, 76, of 3671 Hispania Place, Village Plaza, Sarasota, Fla., formerly of Washington, died Friday, September 5, 1980, in Sarasota Pavilion Nursing Home following a one-month illness.
She was born June 20, 1904, in Toronto, Ohio, a daughter of William Woods and Sally Porter Pattison.
Mrs. Cummins was a former member of the Church of the Covenant, Washington, and a member of the Church of Palms, Sarasota. She had been a member of the choirs at both churches.
A 1923 graduate of Washington High School, she also attended Washington Seminary.
Her husband, Judge George T. Cummins of the Washington County court of Common Pleas, died August 11, 1963. They had been married on March 22, 1929.
Mrs. Cummins was Past Worthy Matron of Lincoln Chapter 112, Order of the Eastern Star; district deputy for Washington and Greene Counties, O.E.S.; Past Worthy High Priestess, Bethesda Shrine No. 25, White Shrine of Jerusalem; and Past royal Matron of the Order of the Amaranth, Martha Washington Court.
She had been past president of the Washington Quota Club, a former member of the board of the Salvation Army and a member of both the Washington Hospital Auxiliary and Washington County Council of Democratic Women’s Club.
Mrs. Cummins had served as secretary to Pastor Franklin Harkey of the Third United Presbyterian Church of Washington and was choir director until the merger of the Third United Presbyterian Church and the Church of the Covenant.
One brother, Kenneth Pattison, is deceased. She is survived by several cousins.